Overlooking the river at Falkensteiner Elbufer, the Sven-Simon-Park, inaugurated in 1982, is a public park filled with a rich and splendid ensemble of trees and laced with tranquil paths. The Landhaus built by Karl Schneider stands in the grounds of the park.
Standing high above the shore of the river Elbe is Hamburg’s most impressive lodge from the 1920s. The white villa built in the style of New Objective Architecture by Karl Schneider in 1923 is one of Hamburg’s outstanding architectural treasures.
The Puppenmuseum Falkenstein presents not only a nostalgic miniature world made of lace, velvet and silk but also numerous historical and cultural aspects of Germany’s middle classes from the late 18th century up until the 1950s.
Villa Michaelsen by Karl SchneiderIts origins and perception from 1923 to 1933
Built in 1923/24, the Landhaus am Falkenstein villa on the banks of the Elbe proved emblematic for a new development in architecture. The clarity of the multiple composition and its harmonious correspondence with nature soon brought the building international acclaim. As early as 1925, Gropius presented this exceptional villa in the first volume of his pioneering series of Bauhaus books. Along with the Chilehaus it was to become Hamburg’s most publicised building of the 20th century.
Special exhibition from 12 May to 21 July 2019
in conjunction with the Hamburger Architektur Sommer 2019
and the GRAND TOUR OF MODERNISM 100 years of bauhaus
Special exhibition “The Biedermeier nursery”The invention of middle-class childhood
From 1 July to 31 August 2018, the special exhibition “The Biedermeier nursery” exhibited some fifty daguerreotypes from the early days of photography around 1850 and wood engravings by the Dresden painter Oscar Pletsch (1830–1888) showing lively family scenes supplemented with dolls and other selected objects from the world of children in the Biedermeier period.
Special exhibition in Dresden, winter 2014/15The world in miniature. Two centuries of children’s toys. Collection Elke Dröscher, Hamburg
As a touring exhibition hosted by the Stadtmuseum Dresden, the special exhibition attracted 17,000 visitors and was an impressive success.